Sunday, November 18, 2007




Well the princess scared me silly this morning. I got up and made her a bottle, and crawled back into bed to watch CNN and wake up slowly. She was being silly and standing and rolling and crawling and laughing and carrying on, and she rolled right off the side of the bed. Now I swear to you that she went down head first. She screamed. I jumped up and grabbed her, and she buried her face in my shoulder. I bounced her and tried to look at her face, which I was sure was covered in blood, with what was certainly a broken nose, concussion, etc. I was still in my pajamas, but I headed to the door to get help, thinking we would go straight to the hospital. Now I need to explain that she has been falling a lot. I mean, she is at that age where she can stand, but not stay standing. So there have been many falls and many tears. Normally, I cuddle her a minute, and then point at something pretty and say “mira!” and she looks and is fine.


So before causing panic in the entire courtyard, I decided to try and point at a flower. “Mira!” I said. And she looked. And pointed. And stopped crying. There was no blood. There we no apparent damage at all!

Now I still see a little mark under her eye, and I am terrified that we are going to get her passport photo done next week and that she is going to have a black eye for the photo and that everyone is going to think I abuse or neglect her. But honestly, she is fine! Did she just bounce? Now my friend put some arnica on her eye as a precaution, and I have stopped every parent I could find on the street today to tell them the story and make them look at her eye. No one seems concerned.


As proof of her apparent well-being, here she is with Sonia at breakfast!

Now I was going to dedicate my blog today to the WONDERFUL night we had last night, but this just seemed too important. Perhaps I’ll tell you all about it later.