Wednesday, November 14, 2007






Oh my. An absolutely amazingly marvelous idyllic day. The princess and I both slept late, and even when we woke up we didn’t want to get out of bed. She practiced standing and falling on the mattress while I clapped and cheered. Then we cuddled and she drank her bottle. We played peek-a-boo with the sheets. More standing and falling and cheering. Simply a lovely morning.

Then we met our friends and went out and had a great breakfast, and then finally headed over to the famous Hotel Santo Domingo, which my Aunt Irene and Uncle Gregory raved about on their visit to Antigua. Now this place must be one of the truly great hotels in the world. Built around ancient ruins, with lush gardens, the grounds go on for acres. Little black rock-like objects camouflage the speaker system which pumps Gregorian chants throughout the ample outdoor area. We stopped and spoke with some vendors, and had an almost identitial conversation to the one I had with a vendor my first day here in Antigua. The woman asked where Liana was from, and I said she was born in Mixco. Then woman then said “but she is indigenous like us.” I agreed, and the woman went on to say that she was Mam, which is one of the indigenous groups from the region. The woman said she could tell from her mouth and the shape of her face. I am dying to know more about Liana’s background, and the woman was so definitive, that I am almost certain she is right! Time to start reading about the Mam people and their history!

We then wandered the grounds some more, and looked at the art. You will think I am joking, but I have to tell you this. Liana LOVES art. She loves paintings and statues, and gets excited as we approach, and she points excitedly, and can look at a piece for a ridiculously long period of time. Even in the Marriott, she got excited by the plaster faux marble “Greek/Roman” statues that graced the lobby and the hallways. But today what caught her attention were the 17th century wood carvings.

After doing our cultural tour of the area, we asked if we could sit in the restaurant and just have a hot chocolate. We were directed to the bar, which I must tell you, is going to really become my hang out when my friend goes back to Europe. The low table and plushly carpeted floor made the perfect perfect perfect place for Liana to explore. She went round and round and round the table on her two feet, and then sometimes made the dash for a cushioned chair or sofa a few steps away. Sometimes she fell, but that was no problem on the soft carpet. And the table was oddly shaped, sort of like a trough, with a deep indentation in the center. That made rolling things around the table incredibly fun. We must have sat there two hours, while Liana played and explored and little Sonia slept, and Cristina and I cheered at Liana’s accomplishments and even had some adult conversation. Oh. And did I mention the dancing? With one hand on the table, and the rest of us in full view, the princess bopped around and shock her hips and waved her hand in the air with an ease I don’t think I have ever possessed. What an amazing human being! So drawn to music and art and children and plants, and food, and so in love with the world around her. Cristina says she is an old soul.


On the walk back home, we were approached by more vendors with kids. Liana is a toddler magnet, and these kids were all over her. She touched their faces, and watched in amazement as the two year old walked with such confidence. Then a very rough cobblestone journey home put her right to sleep.