Friday, November 16, 2007


As many of you know, I used to talk to my mom on the phone every morning before work. I miss talking to her so much. But on many levels, writing this blog is sort of like talking to her….even though it is a one-way conversation. Every morning we talked about the details of our lives. People and incidents and observations. And together, we found humor in everything. I really have to say that there is no one I ever laughed with as much as I laughed with my mom. As I write these blog entries, I use the voice that I used when I talked with her. Light humor. Seeking irony in the ordinary. Taking delight in unexpected juxtaposition. If you like my blogs, you either loved my mom, or would have loved her if you had known her.

Liana has an amazing sense of humor. There is nothing more marvelous than making the princess laugh. And it is quite easy actually. And her laughter is certainly contagious. I will always miss laughing with my mother. But the joy of laughing with my daughter is a new and wonderful life experience that will certainly grow and evolve. And I suspect that Liana too, will enjoy seeking irony in the ordinary, and taking delight in unexpected juxtaposition. But unlike my mother, who was always haunted by a layer of melancholy that always sat just under the surface, Liana seems to share my genuine verve.