Wednesday, November 7, 2007






Found a sweet little apartment just a few blocks from the central plaza. It was an exhausting day, packing and unpacking and dealing with a new environment and a mixed up schedule. But we are finally settled in and the princess is fast asleep...which is good since she didn't get a nap. The apartment is one of eight around a central courtyard. It would go as a one-bedroom in Manhattan, a hotel suite with a kitchen anywhere else in the world. There are a few families here, and a really nice woman from Denmark who is adopting a precious little girl took me to the corner store to get staples, and is going to take me to the big supermarket tomorrow. It is quite different going from hotel like (with room service and a selection of restaurants) to a furnished apartment. When we got back from the store I realized I didn't have dish soap or paper towels. M neighbor gave me paper towels, and hung out and kept Liana occupied while I made her a bottle and a bite to eat. She is a little anxious, and it was a stressful day. But it is a lovely little place... just like I imagined. Very old, tile floors, woven beadspreads, blue and white tiles in the kitchen, details that let me know I am really in Latin America. I'll probably be here about 6 weeks, and commute into Guatemala City for the few things I need to do. Then I'll go back to Guatemala City for the last embassy appointments. I'm exhausted, and ready to collapse myself. I'll tell you more about beautiful Antigua tomorrow!!!!