Saturday, November 10, 2007


Hey blog-readers and princess Liana-fans. A number of people have asked me why I set up my blog in such a way that readers cannot leave comments. Basically, I have heard horror stories about blogs being vandalized, and I decided to just play it safe. I know that there is an option that allows me to screen comments before posting them, but that seemed like a chore, and goodness.... I have enough chores as it is! There is also an option to make everyone register before viewing, but I HATE registering at every site I just want to check out, so I decided that option would be a chore for you!


This said, I REALLY LOVE feedback! So feel free to email me with witty comments, suggestions, or just to laugh at how silly we are!


Well Antigua continues to be lovely. Seem to have a good deal going with my neighbor. She cooks us yummy dinners, and I take her and her daughter to breakfast! This morning we tried out the famous place that everyone recommends... and we were both disappointed. Yeah, it was gorgeous and artsy and it was fun to walk through a bookstore to get to the garden where we ate by a fountain. The place was jam packed with Americans and Europeans. When I asked the waitress to fill Liana's bottle with pineapple juice, she said she would bring the juice and I could pour it in myself. Um. OK. I can do that. But then she brings the coffee and water and everything before the juice, and by this time I am carrying Liana around and pointing at the fountain and the art and trying to keep a very hungry little girl occupied. By the time I put her in the high chair, she expected something NOW NOW NOW. And I poured the juice, a little in the bottle, a little on the table, had to ask for napkins to wipe up my mess...and the waitress wants to know if we are ready to order. Well.... I haven't had a chance to look at the menu yet! The food was excellent, service iffy. And as expected, over priced. Hot sauce was requested 3 or 4 times. My friend had to ask for water a few times... mine arrived with my coffee.


Well after breakfast my friends went back to the hotel to rest because they had not had a good night. Liana and I continued doing the whole tourist thing. We went to the "typical" craft market, clearly set up for tourists, (as opposed to the wild market where we bough veggies the other day), and looked at all of the wares and listened to piped in music. Rudolf the Red-nosed Reindeer and I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas. I think that those are traditional Guatemalan songs.


Then we ran around the park and looked at the fountain, and I told at least 6 boys under the age of 8 years old that I did not want my shoes shined. One frowned and pointed out that they were very dirty. He was right, of course.


I was told that there were some street musicians playing up by the arch, and so we walked in that direction. We know that the princess LOVES music! By the time we got there, the princess was fast asleep in her stroller. Now, I cannot describe to you what it is like going up and down cobblestone streets in a stroller. Sometimes we just get stuck, and I need to go to the front and pull. When we go up and down steep curbs, she slides all over the place. But for some reason I will never understand, she managed to fall asleep! So we came back to the apartment and I tossed her on the bed, where she continues to sleep like an angel.