Thursday, November 29, 2007




For a while we were making very clear progress with this whole walking thing. Then we sort of hit a plateau. The new shoes do seem to be helping somewhat. But clearly the princess is going to progress at her own pace, not the pace that mommy sets.

The most exciting accomplishment has been the “squat and pick up” development. At first things fell, and mommy learned how to play fetch. Now the princess can recover objects herself. And mommy’s back is thankful.

I have told Liana that it is my very strong preference that she carry her own luggage through the airport on the trip home. She nods emphatically when we discuss it, but something tells me that mom will be carrying not only Liana’s luggage, but the princess herself through airport checkpoints. I have no idea how we are going to get all of this junk home. I am trying so hard not to buy stuff. But I can’t resist a new book now and then. You know about the shoes. I really need new pants for her… because mostly she crawls and makes the knees of her pretty tights and light colored pants really dirty. A new toy here and there does not seem like too much. I brought all the soft, cute, educational stuff. She seems to really like hard plastic toys. Hmmm. So I got a plastic bucket (fun to put stuff in) and the plastic tea set was a real hit. And then there is the stuff that I really want to bring home… the weavings, embroidery, maybe some wooden items, a mask perhaps. I would love to get her at least one indigenous outfit. Have I told you about the bedspreads? Oh my.

Doesn’t anyone out there want to come spend a tropical holiday here in Guatemala, (having arrived with only one suitcase) and then travel home with us to NY, carrying all of the princess’s goodies? Think about it….