Thursday, November 1, 2007


This amazing little person has changed so much in the past four months. First of all, she has become a really effective communicator! Some things are easy. She smiles and nods yes when she is happy or when I am indicating something she wants. She frowns and vigorously shakes her head no, sometimes to indicate that she does not want something, and sometimes, it seems, just to express the power of “no”. She asks to be held. Constantly. She is very frightened. Her whole world has changed so much. New places and people and routines. Everything must be so strange. And she is teething, and clearly in discomfort. Sometimes she just weeps for hours. It is exhausting, and it breaks my heart.

I am learning to try and give her more control over her environment. The first few times I felt a wet diaper and tossed her on the changing pad, she screamed and kicked hysterically. Now I take out a diaper and show it to her, and ask her if it is time to change her diaper. She usually looks deeply into my eyes and nods stoically. So then I pull out all of the accessories and show them to her… the changing pad, vaseline, baby powder, baby wipes, and then I ask her if she is ready to change her diaper. Again, the stoic nod.

When it is time to leave the hotel room, I explain that we are going out, and ask if she is ready. Estas lista? Estas lista? That question is usually met with big smiles and enthusiastic nods. I put her in the stroller by the door, and start gathering the various possessions we will need during our journey. I show her everything as I toss it into the bag or attach it to her stroller. I select two toys, and let her point to the one she wants to bring. Then I go get my shoes. She LOVES shoes. And the shoes I’m wearing around the Marriott have velcro, which makes them even more exciting. I make sure I make lots of noise with the velcro. She watches me put them on, and laughs and laughs. Then I run around and look for the room key, at which point she is just giggling at me. The excitement has mounted so much at this point, that we sometimes even start clapping! Then we are off!