Monday, November 19, 2007


Ok. Since it seems that both the princess and mom have survived yesterday’s fall, it is time to tell you about what fun we had on Saturday night.

My friend Christina needs to go back to work, and so she is leaving for Europe on Monday morning, and Sonia is going back to the orphanage for a few weeks. Since it was Saturday night, the four of us went out to paint the town red in anticipation of Christina’s departure. I had suggested treating them to dinner at Santo Domingo, but Christina had other things in mind. She had gotten a flier about a musical performance at a cultural center that was also a bar/restaurant. Hey. Sounds good to me.

Now sadly Christina’s navigational skills are on par with my own. We thought we were going close by. But once we got on the street and started asking directions, we realized it was quite a haul. Just as I was starting to whine about having to drag the stroller over many many many blocks of crowded cobblestone, one of those horse-drawn-carriage taxis stopped right in front of us and let the passengers off. Well, that was a clear sign to me! Horse drawn carriage taxi to our destination was the clear solution!

Liana really seems to like a variety of modes of transportation, and enjoyed the trip immensely. However, when the driver asked if she would like to pet the horse just as we were leaving, she got quite scared.

The place was great. Run by an American couple, who doted over the girls. Liana and I had spaghetti. Messy. But fun! The music was Andean, with many references to Bolivia, but the band members were all from Guatemala, with the exception of the percussionist who was the American co-owner of the establishment. Well even though it was later than usual, and even though her diaper was very very wet, Liana bobbed around and clapped her hands and had a great time. And mom went all out and had two, count them TWO glasses of a really nice wine from Argentina! Then they dumped us into a traditional cab, and we made it home in no time.

I must tell you about the other primary form of transportation here. It is called a tuc tuc. It is a little three-wheeled motor vehicle with a roof but no walls, and it is the most common type of taxi. I took one home from the supermarket last week, and Liana enjoyed the trip as well. I expect that once my friend Christina is not here to help me get up and down all of those dreadful curbs, I may become a tuc tuc regular!


Buen Viaje Christina! And we will miss you too little Sonia.