Tuesday, November 20, 2007


I cannot begin to describe the joy this little girl has brought into my life. She is so smart and funny and joyous and quirky. Think quirky is gonna fit in with my family history? :)

I am so in love with the process of getting to know her. And she has so much to teach me! I know everyone says babies love routines, but I am really not the routine type. And fortunately the princess is doing pretty well changing living environments and eating at different places and with different people having schedules change and whatnot. But I need to pay attention to the things that are important to her. For example, before she goes to sleep, there are a lot of little rituals that need to take place, which involve holding and cuddling and singing and her bottle and whatnot. And she also really likes to look out the window for a minute or so, just as she is really sleepy. And then she wants me to close the shutters.

Really.

A number of times we had quite a struggle going to sleep, and she was pointing to the window and fussing. She wants to look out the window, (both for afternoon nap and evening sleep) and then when she is done, she likes to help me close the shutters. I have really pretty blinds in her room at home, and just got a nice valance. An air conditioner is going to go in the window too. But maybe I will need to get shutters, huh?

She loves to look and see if I approve. When she stands up on her own, and I cheer, she beams with pride. I am teaching her to touch things gently. Suave! Suave! When she touches babies or flowers or other delicate things, I say “suave” and show her how to touch gently. Then she gently touches a baby’s face, and looks to see if I saw. When I praise her and say “Suave! Eso si!!!” and kiss her head or tickle her belly, she beams in delight, and gives that suave touch again. And shoes! She loves to take off her shoes and offer them to strangers. She also likes to take adult shoes, and try and put them on her feet! Twelve or her little feet could fit in one of my shoes, but her efforts are quite earnest.
On the other hand, she is so darn cute, it is hard sometimes not to encourage her to do things she shouldn’t. When she is done eating, she throws her plate on the floor. Then she looks to see who was watching, and claps her hand and laughs. Now she is so cute and funny, it is hard not to laugh too. But I really don’t want to encourage this throwing of stuff. **Sigh**