Saturday, November 3, 2007


The first power struggle happened at lunch. Liana was eating pieces of cheese, and I was waiting for tomato soup that we were going to share. She really likes holding the spoon herself, but sometimes it ends up upsidedown before it gets to her mouth. So I put a little soup (or whatever) on her spoon, and put the spoon on her plate and let her lift it.

So while we were waiting for what promised to be a very messy meal, I noticed that I had forgotten to put her bib on. She was still munching on her pieces of cheese. When I put it on, she pulled it off. I told her she had to wear the bib, and put it on again. And she tore it off. And I put it on. And she tore it off.

So I took the bib and the cheese, and pointed to both of them, and explained that she got no cheese until she wore the bib. I put the bib back on, and gave her the cheese back, and she took a piece of cheese, and then tore off her bib. So I took the cheese away again.

I held the cheese out of her reach and said “quieres comer? Quieres comer” She nodded, and I pointed to the bib. Put the bib back on, gave her the cheese, and the bib came off again. And I took the cheese away. She started screaming, and I pointed back to the cheese.

Well, we went back and forth a few more times, and finally the bib stayed on. By the time the soup arrived, she was in a great mood again, giggling and clapping and being her marvelous self.