Sunday, December 2, 2007


Well, Liana might enjoy the tortillas and mole poblano (and the artwork!) at Frida’s restaurant, but mom is not delighted with the scam they pulled on my bill. I asked for the enchiladas with mole poblano, with cheese instead of chicken. As a big fan of mole, I’ve made that very specific request more times than you can imagine. When I lived in Mexico, I probably ate mole in a restaurant once a week, with cheese enchiladas. Even in NYC, I seek out mole. But Frida’s has a special policy. They charged me the regular price for the enchiladas, and then charged me again for the cheese, making my enchiladas end up costing more than anything else on the menu. Making the enchiladas, in fact, cost much more than I would pay for them in NYC!!!!!

I argued over the check, to several staff members, each of whom ended up disappearing, as if they intended to go off and resolve the issue. Liana was in the stroller, tired, and cranky and ready to go. The last fellow said that the cheese was extra. Period. I said that I wanted a rebate for not having meat then. He said they could not do that.

I paid the amount on the bill. Down to the last centavo of a quetzal. Told everyone on the way out to examine their bills carefully, using words like scam and trampa, depending on the language spoken. And walked out.

You know, I don’t bargain with street vendors, hoping to save $3 on a weaving that took someone a week to complete. In fact I feel really good about spending my money here and supporting the local economy. I don’t mind overpaying at the corner store to avoid the walk over to the chaotic bodegona. (Hey, I overpay at corner stores in NY too.) I over-tip tuc tuc drivers who struggle to get Liana's stroller folded and into their little vehicle. But I really really really resent getting ripped off at a very successful (and good) restaurant.

Shame on them.