Thursday, December 13, 2007



Liana's mood is much better today, in spite of the fact that sharp, pointy teeth continue to push their way through all different corners of her mouth. And she won't let me near enough to see what is going on in there! She hates to have her face (or hands) washed, and she does not like anyone poking at her mouth. She will, however, stick out her tongue. And blow raspberries. :)


I did not tell you about our big celebratory dinner in honor of our embassy appointment. I had found out about a Japanese restaurant in town, and those of you who know me may be aware that I have been going through great withdrawal of tofu and miso and tamari and stuff like that. So Liana and I trekked all the way to the other side of Antigua to get mom her tofu.


Sadly, the restaurant did not start serving until 6:30, and it was just after 5 when we arrived, (Liana and I have a pretty wild nightlife here) so I decided that we would dine (at this inappropriate hour) at the Hotel Santo Domingo.


Had an amazing ravioli, stuffed with corn and local cheese, in a green herb sauce, that Liana and I both loved, followed by an amazing white chocolate mousse. Now regular readers already know that Liana and I LOVE the bar at the Hotel Santo Domingo because they have low tables and a squishy rug, and there is simply NOWHERE else in Antigua that is quite that much fun to practice walking. Every trip to the Santo Domingo bar results in increased walking skills. Now we had only been there during the day, and only for hot chocolate, so going to an actual bar at night for a glass of wine seemed like a special treat for mom!


Because Liana has been having a bit of diarrhea, (everyone says it is related to the teething) I had come out prepared with an extra pair of pants in case we had an accident in public. Which we did. The very moment mom's glass of wine arrived. So I reached into my well-prepared diaper bag, and pulled out the wipes and the cream and the powder and the changing pad and the extra pants... ummmmm.... but I did not have a diaper!!! How was this possible. A quick check with hotel staff indicated there was no store that sold diapers on site.


So I toook a quick sip of wine, asked for the check, which took a while, and tossed a confused Liana into her stroller. She kept pointing at her offensive diaper, which I seemed to be refusing to assist her with, and she was really not pleased that we had just arrived at such a fun spot to play, and suddenly I was packing her up and taking her away. I was clearly in that abusive/negligent mommy mode as far as she was concerned.
We then got assistance going down all of the various steps leading to the front door, and let me tell you... the little girl stunk. Meanwhile, she was taking off her shoes and socks, which is what she does when she is bored or irritated or looking for attention, and throwing them on the floor. AT the front door, the doorman attempted to get us a taxi or tuc tuc, and it took FOREVER. Finally, we jammed into our tuc tuc and headed home.


The next morning, the fabulous pink shoes were nowhere to be found. Oh well. They got lost somehow in the scramble to get my little girl out of her nasty diaper.


I would also like to note that we zoomed through the courtyard so fast once we got home, that my neighbor Rose became concerned as the evening went on, because she was used to hearing us make noise in the courtyard when we get home in the evening. So she started thinking about us going all the way to the other end of town and not coming back, and came and pressed her ear against the door, and heard that we were in fact home. Now how sweet is that?