Thursday, December 13, 2007


Two weeks from right now Liana and I will be on a plane heading home. I hope she will be fast asleep. Hope I’ll be asleep too, for that matter.

After we face immigration and baggage claim (with way too many bags) followed by customs, and then go outside at what will be close to 3:00 AM in the freezing cold, we’ll hop in a cab and head home.

I don’t know how I’ll get all the luggage and the sleepy, most likely clingy and cranky little girl up the elevator and through the door to our home, but I know when I get there I’ll have an incredulous cat waiting in the wings. I have left him for extended periods before, but never this long. I know what his response will be. He will expect me to accompany him on an inspection of his food and water dishes, to ensure that each are properly filled. I will then be expected to rub his belly. He will then lead me on a tour of his litter box, to ensure that it also, is up to his standards. But I’m going to have a tired and confused and scared and clingy little girl with me, who is fascinated by animals at a distance (and on TV) but who gets really scared when she gets up close to one.


You two are going to have to learn to get along and love each other as much as I love both of you. It is going to be stressful. But we are family now.