Sunday, January 6, 2008


Well, we continue to eat well. All fruits, as well as a variety of vegetarian protein sources continue to please the princess. Here she is enjoying some tofu! And bulgur wheat! All corn-based products continue to be favorites. I've really got to figure out how to incorporate corn tortillas into our diet on a regular basis. Tamales... well... I've got to tell you. I'm not making tamales. But there is frequently a nice lady who sells tamales on Roosevelt Ave by the train station, so we need to visit her on a regular basis. Have not tried arepas yet, (arepas are Colombian corn patties, served with cheese and butter), but I am sure they will be a hit.

Now when I say that Liana loves all fruit, it seems that she, in fact, loves ALL fruit. Today Liana and I went out to brunch with a friend. She's been a little cranky, (lack of sleep!) and I was just delighted to be engaged in adult conversation. So she was sitting in her high chair, and not seeming to be amused by any of the toys that I hauled to the restaurant with me, so I took the lemon slice, (more like a quarter of a lemon, I guess) from my club soda and handed it to her for her own amusement. Much to my surprise, she bit right in. And made that funny "oh my! that is a lemon and it is bitter!" face. And then bit in again. And made the face again. And bit in again. Face again. Sorry folks, I did not have a camera on hand. But she was so amusing that an entire table of 4 people sitting near us stopped eating and talking, and just entertained themselves watching her lemon eating antics, and exclaiming about how cute she is.

Yeah. She is a cute kid.