Saturday, January 5, 2008



Well we are finally starting to get some sleep. When Liana got to NY, she basically stopped taking naps. In Guatemala she slept 1- 2 hours every afternoon. And instead of sleeping 11-12 hours per night, she was sleeping more like 8 or 9 hours. But those hours were not consecutive. In other words, she would sleep an hour, cry and hour and a half, sleep an hour and a half, wake up, eat, fuss for an hour, sleep an hour, wake up…blah blah blah. Mommy has been exhausted.

We are still having a lot of drama around going to sleep. I am trying to help her develop going-to-sleep rituals that work for her. Oddly one of the rituals that is very very important to her is closing all doors, windows, drawers, etc. She was into this in Guatemala as well. And sometimes she is almost asleep, and she wakes herself up and insists on making me pick her up and check that the door is really securely closed.

Now I like the doors and windows open. So does Sage, who likes to wander in and out at will. Sometimes he will stand on the outside of the closed bedroom door and howl to be let in. Which, as you might imagine, is disruptive to the princess’s sleep.

Liana is still sleeping in my bed, and I think she will be for a while. Sometimes I toss her in her bed after she is asleep. She likes waking up in her bed, which is good. She also likes the fact that she can get up and out of her bed, and then go off and do other things. But she absolutely does not like going to sleep there. Little by little. I imagine eventually having her go to sleep in her bed, and if she wakes up in the night and is scared she can then walk to my room, and I could put a little step stool there so that she could crawl into my bed if she needs to.
Yup. Little by little.