Thursday, January 3, 2008




I haven’t told you about walking in the door to my apartment at 3:30 AM, with Liana, arriving home for the first time in two months for me, and the first time ever for Liana. Well the first hint that something was up was the wreath on the door, dripping faux pearls. When we opened the door we saw that there were two, count them two Christmas trees decorated on up. A centerpiece of holly and pine graced my grandfather’s dining room table, and tinsel and ornaments dripped down from the chandelier. The living room windows had lights and tinsel dripping from the wrought iron rods. But none of this glitter prepared me for what we were to find. Under the larger tree there were wrapped presents for Liana. Toys. In the kitchen, on her high chair, there were new sippy cups and suction plates and kids spoons. In her bedroom there were diapers and a ducky tub and baby wipes and diaper cream and baby bath stuff and a humidifier and just stuff!

Apparently a shower for me had been held in my absence, and the fruits of the event greeted us all around the place.

Now I know that I have been very negligent with my blog, and I should have told you all of this right off from the start. I really want to thank everyone everyone everyone who contributed to this warm welcome home. Susana, somehow I suspect that you were the mastermind…. And I would especially like to thank William for decorating in a way that this apartment will certainly never see again.

Now I know that my camera is here, but I cannot cannot cannot for the life of me find it in what has become the chaos of my home. So I cannot post pictures of the sites. And Irene has been bugging me to post pics of Liana at home doing stuff, so that she can envision her. And I can’t do that either.

But here are some pics of my place that are old old old, from my homestudy, (for the adoption). Now the kitchen is exactly the same, except there is a high chair in front of the table, and the floor is covered in spilled juice and thrown black beans, and there are cheerios hidden in every corner. The dining room looks pretty much the same from that angle. I just like that pic because it shows all the arches and stuff that makes pre-war Jackson Heights apartments so stunning.
And the last one is one of the pics I took of Liana's room and put in a picture book for her when we were in Guatemala. When we got home, she really recognized the room as the famous place in her book!