Sunday, February 10, 2008


Week from hell is what it has been. I’ve had a nagging cold, leaving me cranky and low energy. The fact that I have not slept 4 consecutive hours in the past month and a half is a contributing factor. But this week, two consecutive hours of sleep has felt luxurious. Oh. And by the end of the week I did manage to pass my cold onto the squeak. Who wakes herself up coughing, and sometimes coughs so hard she vomits. And then cries hopelessly while I change sheets and whatnot.

The highlight of the week was the evening I was lounging in the living room while she slept in my bed. She woke up howling, and I ran to the room. Fans of my blog know about Liana’s obsession with closing doors and windows and drawers and whatnot. So obviously the bedroom door was closed. I ran to open it, and the doorknob came off in my hand.

Months of progress on building up Liana’s feelings of security were lost in the next twenty minutes that she spent howling on the other side of the door while I panicked and desperately tried to get in, then ran up and down the hallway looking for lights under neighbor’s doors, and finally called the super.

Poor Liana.

Today during what was supposed to be nap time, Liana obsessed over the guilty door. Is it closed? Securely closed? Can we open it easily? Over and over again she would get close to sleep, and then force herself awake and point at the door and demand to be carried over. At a certain point, my poor neglected cat sat on the other side of the door, wishing he had the freedom and the level of love and attention that he had in the pre-Liana era. When I showed Liana that the door opened, Sage came in and sat himself on his rightful corner of the bed.

Liana, who is obsessed with him, squealed with glee. I pet his head, and even got some purrs. He put his head down, and I stroked his back and let Liana pet him. She loved it. But as her hand came close to his tail, she cold not resist a little tug.

He swatted. She cried. I tried to chase him out of the room to try to get back to trying to get her to sleep. But he was being stubborn. Before being chased out, he stopped to leisurely to rub his face in a sticky old pair of shoes that were sitting on the floor.

Poor Sage.

He misses me. He misses me so much that he has to rub his face in my stinky old shoes just to remember the good times.

There is just not enough of me to go around. And I am so tired.