Thursday, February 14, 2008


Music is really important to Liana. I know all kids love music, but I can tell that music is going to play a very special role in Liana’s life. She gets sooooo excited when she hears a familiar tune. She doesn’t like to eat unless music is playing. She sleeps with music on… or Gregorian chants or whatever mom is experimenting with any given week. When she sees street musicians, she goes crazy with excitement.

She loves her Music Together class. Yesterday, I tried to tell her what the plans for the day were, and I told her we were going to music class. She did not demonstrate any comprehension, so I started singing (a cappella, mind you!) the welcome song that we sing at the beginning of each class. She immediately started picked up the rhythm by slapping her thighs, the way we do when we sing that song in class. She was clearly very excited, and understood that music class was coming up.

Even though she is not really talking yet, she sometimes seems to be singing or humming. Not the familiar tunes that she loves… but tunes, it seems, that exist in her mind. Oh, what I would not give to spend an hour inside that amazing little head of hers….

Have I told you recently how much I love this little girl?