Friday, February 22, 2008



Mushy slushy cold and wet

Boots, snowsuits

Is it over yet?


Achoo. Achoo.


This is one of the songs we sing in music together. It also sums up my feelings.


Going back to work for real on Monday. I actually have done quite a bit of work in recent weeks. And Liana even participated some. It is City Budget Season here in NYC, which means lots of hearings and whatnot. I went to testify at the Queens Borough Presidents office, which I do every year. My number was late in the day, and I know our Boro Pres listens to people and asks questions, and I KNEW that she would be running way behind. And I knew my 4:03 speaking time would not be until after 6:00. So I took the princess along!


Oh. And Rachid came too. Rachid is about to become a daddy, so this was good practice for him.


We got there on time, were told to expect to speak at 6:00, so we went out to dinner. When we got back, I walked her up and down the hallway while Rachid listened to some other speakers. He came out and told me when the person before me was presenting. Now the plan was that I was going to hand Liana to Rachid and he was going to hang out right behind me and everything was going to be fine.


Well, the guy in front of me finished his testimony abruptly, and when I tried to shove Liana into Rachid's arms, she resisted. Rather than coo and talk her into it while further delaying testimony for all of the folks who were behind me in line, I just put her under my arm and approached the microphone.


Borough Pres smiled, and said "I see you have some help." I nodded, explained that this was her first public testimony, but that in fact I was there to talk about blah blah blah. Liana started pulling on the microphone, and wonderful Rachid snuck up behind me. I tossed Liana at him, and he pulled out his cell phone to entertain her. At a certain point I noticed that the City Council members who bothered to stay for the late speakers were all looking behind me. I asked if my daughter was stealing the show, and actually got some giggles.


When I finished speaking, the Boro Pres actually asked insightful questions, demonstrating that she had been listening.


So yeah. The kid has been initiated. I suspect that there are more budget hearings and political meetings and events in her future.