Saturday, February 16, 2008


Today was one of those idyllic mommy days. You know. The kind of day I fantasized about for so long as I imagined becoming a mom.

We slept late after a great night. Got up about 7 AM. Since it was light out, we got to open the blinds and coo and go oooh and ahhhh at the light outside and the view from the windows. Then we cuddled and laughed and carried on a bit. I put on Blue’s Clues while I made my coffee, and she remained entertained straight through my shower, sitting in her favorite chair and eating raisins out of the big box.

Then we went out for a big breakfast. Just the two of us. We had eggs and rice and beans and fried plantains and arepas. Liana is so great in restaurants. She laughed and listened to me talk and pointed at interesting things and ate and ate and ate. When she was done eating she hung out in her high chair looking at a book while I finished. Oh. And of course she bopped to the music.

So she fell asleep in her stroller while I was running some errands, and stayed asleep when we got home. It was WAY too early for her nap, but I decided we were doing a morning nap rather than an afternoon nap. When she woke up, we called a cab and went to the NY Hall of Science.!

Well we had gobs of fun there. It is a great museum for kids because there are so many interactive exhibits, and lots of buttons to press and stuff to spin and just have fun with. We spent most of the time in the toddler room, but we also ran around the main area of the museum. Liana lead the way, and I followed her pushing her stroller. She walked with such a determination, as if she were just busy busy busy with places to go and things to do. It was funny watching people watching her as she walked by. She loved the spinning circles, as usual, and the probability machine in which the balls drop down through a variety of obstacles and each one lands in a slot and the slots combined create a chart of the probability of the ball taking a given path through the obstacles. But by far the most exciting and amazing exhibit was actually in the ladies restroom. There were no paper towels, so imagine Liana’s excitement when I turned on the electric hand drier! Her eyes opened wide, and she looked deeply into my eyes to ask if such an amazing thing had captivated me too. I brought her over to put her hands under the warm blowing air, and she leapt away with surprise, but came back immediately, laughing at the absurdity of such a thing. She put her head underneath as well, and let the hot air blow her hair around. We had to run the dryer through various cycles, because it was just so exciting and there was just so much to do.

Yeah. Mommyhood is good.